menu-mobile
I want to subscribe to the newsletter
x
Ouvrir le menufermer le menu
Recherchez
fermer

Intense cold

In the event of intense cold, be careful not to overload electrical circuits with portable heaters and radiators, and don’t leave these appliances unattended.

If you must use an electrical extension cord, check that it has the capacity to resist the current by comparing the electrical capacity indicated on the cord (or on the female plug) with the rating plate of the appliance. In so doing, you avoid the overheating that can cause a fire. In addition, make sure that it has enough clearance, according to the manufacturer’s standards, from all combustible materials (clothing, curtains, furniture, etc.)

A blown fuse (in the electrical panel) generally signals an overload of electric current. If this occurs, never replace the blown fuse with a higher-rated one. Just plug some of the appliances that use a lot of electricity into other plugs to spread the load. Ask an electrician for advice, if necessary, to reduce the fire risk.

Keep combustible materials such as furniture and curtains/draperies that hang to the floor at least 30 cm from all electric heaters and baseboard heaters.

If there is a power outage, never use heating devices created for camping. These require good ventilation and represent a high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning inside the house. Never leave a candle unattended, or too close to combustible materials, and above all, keep candles out of the reach of children. This kind of carelessness causes of many fires.

Before the cold season arrives, an annual inspection of the main heating system and any supplementary heating devices (oil, natural gas, propane and wood) by a competent and qualified person ensures the efficiency of the system and protects you from fires.

Source: Ville de Montréal website

Subscribe to our
newsletter

flèche
flèche