The smoke detector is the best way to save your own life and the lives of those dear to you, in the event of fire. Here is some useful information about maintenance of a smoke detector:
Where to install
- Install one smoke detector per floor, including the basement.
- Install one in the corridor, near the bedrooms.
- Install one in each room where someone sleeps with the door closed.
- Make sure that all occupants hear the smoke alarm when they are asleep. Otherwise, install a smoke detector in the bedroom of those who cannot hear it sounding outside their bedroom.
- Replace the battery when the alarm sounds an intermittent sound. Use the battery type recommended by the manufacturer.
- Once a month, press the test buttons for a few seconds. An audible signal must be heard immediately. If this is not the case, change the battery.
- Replace 10 years after the date of manufacture indicated on the housing. If the date is missing, do not take any chances, but replace it immediately.