I want to subscribe to the newsletter
(in French only)
Ouvrir le menufermer le menu


General advice

Floods can happen in any season. They usually occur when the snow melts and during heavy rain.

Some of the damage caused by water can be avoided or limited by a back flow valve. This is a device that prevents water from a branch of an overfull sewer pipe or from a septic tank from overflowing into the basement. The valve closes automatically when water from a sewer line overflows. Find out about these devices from a plumbing specialist. 

In the fall, clean the gutters (eaves troughs) and drains and remove any leaves you find there. If the inlet well backs up, get in touch with your municipality.

In the event of a flood warning

  • Identify a place where you can take refuge quickly. It is important that you inform your municipality of where you go by registering with it, which will make it easier to contact you when necessary. You can register at the Service de la culture et des loisirs (Department of Culture and Recreation) at 1145 rue de Saint-Jovite, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or call 819 425-8614, ext. 2500, and leave your contact information (name and phone number) in the voice mailbox so that you can be contacted at any time.
  • Make sure that your battery-operated radio is functioning.
  • Have your emergency kit with you.
  • Create a stock of food, potable water, and medical supplies.
  • Store objects from the basement or main floor in a high place or on the upper floor.
  • Place pollutants such as insecticides, herbicides, etc., in a safe place.
  • Attach your green and black bins well so that you don’t lose them.
  • Plug the basement drain.
  • Turn off the gas and electricity. If the water has started to rise, make sure your feet are on a dry surface and use a wooden stick to cut the current.
  • Follow the development of the situation on the radio, television or Internet.
  • Follow the security instructions that are issued.

During the flood

  • If you have a bathroom in the basement, remove the toilet bowl and plug the sewer pipe with a wooden plug. All sewer pipes in the basement must be plugged in the same manner.
  • Leave your residence if the water level forces you to do so or if the authorities ask you to do so.
  • Take your essential articles (emergency kit) with you.
  • Make arrangements for domestic animals.
  • Inform municipal authorities of where they can reach you if you are not going to a centre providing services for disaster victims.

Accommodation centre

Several local accommodation centres have been identified for our area.

Depending on the nature of the disaster and its magnitude, one of these centres will be selected. You will be informed about these centres through the media (radio, newspapers, Ville de Mont-Tremblant website and social media) when the time comes.

In the event of evacuation to an accommodation centre, bring all the food in your refrigerator and in danger of spoilage, which you could use and which could also be shared with others in the accommodation centre.

After the water subsides

Be cautious when you enter your residence. Be careful to avoid electric shocks. When the water on the ground is more than 5 cm (2 inches) deep, wear rubber boots.


  • If, because of its taste, colour or odour you suspect that the water earmarked for consumption has been contaminated, boil it for 10 minutes if its colour or odour has changed.
  • Contact reception at Service des travaux publics (Department of Public Works) of the Ville de Mont-Tremblant at 819 425-8614, ext. 2600, to make sure that the city supply of potable water is indeed drinkable. If your water comes from a well, have it analyzed before consuming it.
  • Wells must be disinfected and analyzed. The Direction de santé publique des Laurentides (Public Health Department) in Saint-Jérôme (450-436- 8622) will be able to provide you with more information.


  • Consult a heating specialist before you start up your heating equipment/appliances.
  • Do not heat your residence to more than 4° Celsius before all water is gone from the building.


  • Beware of the risk of electrical shock/discharge.
  • Consult an electrician before reconnecting the current.
  • If the floor close to the electrical distribution panel is wet or damp, step up onto a board so that you are away from the wetness, and cut the current using a dry stick.


  • Create an inventory of the damage to your residence, with photos or video as backup. Inform your insurer.
  • Pay attention to (and exercise care with respect to) the presence of mildew or mould, (smell of mould, soil or alcohol; green or black spots or watermarks on the ground or walls) which could result in health problems.
  • Clean the contaminated rooms: remove the water and throw out all absorbent materials such as plaster board, mineral wool, carpets, pressed wood, etc.
  • Use a mixture containing ten parts of water to one part of Javel water to disinfect your residence.
  • Contact the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation for information at 1 800 668-2642.

For major cleaning and renovation work, call upon a specialized company.


If your electricity was cut for more than 24 hours and your refrigerator was not able to remain cold, you must, to avoid health problems such as gastroenteritis and food poisoning, take the following measures.

  • All perishable foods such as meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, eggs and egg-based products (such as mayonnaise and sauces) must be destroyed.
  • Partially thawed foods (presence of frost on the surface of the wrappings) can be put back in the freezer but, in the event, be perfectly certain that they have never really thawed. In case of doubt, do not keep these foods.
  • Throw away all foods and medications that have been in contact with the water. Only cans of food showing no damage or bulging can be kept. The cans must, however, be washed and dried. Don’t take a chance with foods that might be tainted. When in doubt, it’s better to destroy them.
  • Sterilize all kitchen equipment with boiling water.

Financial assistance

Following a flood, you may be eligible for financial assistance.

Psychological assistance

CISSS des Laurentides: call 8-1-1. 


Ministère de la Sécurité publique du Québec

Preparing for Disasters – Ministère de la Sécurité publique du Québec

Floods what to do

Subscribe to our

(in French only)