Most fires caused by stoves and other cooking appliances occur when foods are being fried.
- Never leave food to cook unattended.
- Use a pot whose diameter is larger than or the same as the cooking element.
- Turn off cooking appliances when you need to leave the kitchen or your home.
- To fry food, never use a pot; use a CSA- or ULC-approved fryer equipped with a thermostat.
In case of fire
- Never move containers with flaming contents.
- Cover the pot with an appropriate cover and cut the electrical or gas supply to the element. Never try to extinguish the fire with water.
- Close the oven hood (exhaust fan) if it is in operation.
- Extinguish the fire with your portable fire extinguisher.
- If the fire is spreading, close windows and doors quickly if you have the time; evacuate your home quickly and call 9-1-1.
- Never extinguish a cooking fire with water.
Ministère de la Sécurité publique (in French)