Portable fire extinguishers required for owner of combustion equipment using solid fuel
Every occupant should be equipped with a portable fire extinguisher and know how to use it in order to control the initial stage of a fire.
- Obtain a 5-lb ABC portable fire extinguisher (minimum 2A 10 BC).
- Install the extinguisher in a safe place, accessible and removed potential fire risks such as a stove or heating unit.
- Use it only if:
- the fire is small
- the room is not filled with smoke
- other occupants have been alerted
- the premises have been evacuated
- 9-1-1 has been called
- you are located between the fire and the exit.
Ministère de la Sécurité publique (in French)